[ubuntu-uk] Changing account names in Empathy (Karmic)

David Jones djones.dancol at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 17 09:44:31 BST 2009

Stephen Garton wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> Tootling along nicely with the Karmic beta at the moment. I did a
> completely fresh install to get the full experience, and am trying my
> hardest to get used to using empathy instead of pidgin. Couple of
> things that I can't seem to work out:
>
> 1) How do I change the name of accounts (they show at the moment as
> New Jabber Account, or New Google Talk Account and it's winding me
> up!)

 From the contact list, click on Edit -> Accounts, that will bring up a
list of the accounts you've set up. All you need to do then is double
click on the "New Jabber Account" etc and change its description.
> 2) How do I bring up my buddy list? Pidgin has a notification icon I
> could click to bring it up, but empathy does not.

To bring up the buddy list, I click on the envelop icon in the
notification/indicator area in the top right of the screen. That lists
Empathy & Evolution mail, just select Empathy and that brings the
contact list for me. Sometimes I do have to do that twice when I've just
started the computer up.

> Thanks,
>
> Steve Garton
> http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk