[ubuntu-uk] [OT] MP3 players

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Mon Oct 12 21:13:57 BST 2009

Michael G Fletcher wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> This is more of a philosophical question... I'm looking for a new mp3
> player, about 4 - 10GB, but not over the top when it comes to
> features, I have a smart phone (HTC-Magic running Andriod)  .
>
> If I were to buy an Apple iPod Nano, would I be going against all my
> OSS beliefs and values?

It will probably tarnish your Software Freedom halo a bit, however I
wouldn't lose sleep over it. If you want to feel better about it you can
install rockbox (certain models only) http://www.rockbox.org/ which is
very fully featured, but sadly doesn't integrate with Ubuntu quite as
well as the regular firmware - or didn't last time I checked. It just
sees it as a storage device, not a media player. I think there is a file
you can touch to hint that it is a media player, but I can't find what
it is right now.

Alan