[ubuntu-uk] Is there a second 'desktop' contents folder?

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:21:47 BST 2009

On 08/10/09 17:13, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
<snip />

> You're right, Dan; mine had tildes, and were actually marked as backup
> copies. I think what happens is that it makes backups if the things are
> left on the desktop overnight, which these two (unusually for me) were.
> But it goes on listing them in the Desktop folder, and hides them.

The ~ suffix is pretty standard in Unix/Linux for temporary/backup files
and several tools create them automatically by default: gedit, Vi &
Bluefish I know about.

You can usually configure these apps to not create temporary files at
all or to remove them on close. In gedit for example Under the
Edit->Preferences menu and the Editor Tab you'll see a "Create a backup
copy of files before saving" check box. :-)

Cheers

Al