[ubuntu-uk] Is there a second 'desktop' contents folder?

Rowan Berkeley rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:13:47 BST 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 16:11 +0100, Daniel Drummond
<dmdrummondx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Rowan Berkeley wrote:
> > Hi. Every time I try to upload a file, such as an illustration, from
> > my desktop to my Wordpress blog, the Wordpress upload tool detects
> > two files on my desktop that were in fact deleted three weeks ago.
> > Just opening the 'desktop' folder from 'Places' doesn't show these
> > items, so there must be another 'desktop' contents folder, which the
> > Wordpress tool is seeing, and which has not been updated properly.
> > Can anyone tell me where it is and how to clear it? Thanks.
> >
> I often find a load of files left by vim and gedit in different
> folders, ending with a tilde ~, that don't show up on the desktop.
> Ctrl-H in the file manager shows them.  Actually I just checked, and I
> have a few already.

You're right, Dan; mine had tildes, and were actually marked as backup
copies. I think what happens is that it makes backups if the things are
left on the desktop overnight, which these two (unusually for me) were.
But it goes on listing them in the Desktop folder, and hides them.