[ubuntu-uk] streaming content via wires!

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 13:22:22 BST 2009

javadayaz wrote:
> This is exactly idea that i had. The wireless router will also come in
> handy when i need to browse from my phone anywhere in the house.!
>
> On a side note, im thinking of getting a 37inch tv. Will a cat5 cable
> be able to handle a high enough resolution whilst streaming?

Well if you're playing back media on an original XBOX then you'd
probably be limited to standard definition stuff anyway as the box just
can't handle it (at least I couldn't get it to play 720p HD video) so
you'd probably get away with 10Meg ethernet or wireless for that.

If you want to play high definition stuff then you should be okay with
100Mbit CAT5, it really depends on the bit rate of the media.  I can get
away with playing HD stuff on the XBOX 360 from the PC on 100Mbit
without any problem, I can also play HD stuff stored on my server on the
PC downstairs using 100Mbit (in fact the whole house is currently on
100Mbit ethernet).

Not sure about Bluray though, I believe it's about 30Mbit/sec.  The HD
stuff I play is usually TV shows that have been on in the US, or BBC HD
stuff which I've downloaded and I believe the bit rate of that stuff is
under 10 Meg.

If you wanted to play HD stuff you'd need something capable of playing
it, such as a PC, PS3/XBOX360 (with the video possibly transcoded on the
fly to a format supported by the console) or maybe something like a
Popcorn Hour which is a small low power Linux based media player.

Out of interest, what package are you getting?

I believe the routers on the 50 Meg package support gigabit ethernet.
The Netgear router I have though on 20 Meg (which I believe also is
supplied on 10 Meg connections) is only 100Mbit.

Rob