[ubuntu-uk] insurance for meetings

Philip Wyett philwyett at gmx.com
Tue Oct 6 20:40:51 BST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 10:17 +0100, Lucy wrote:
> 2009/10/5 Paul Sutton <zleap at zleap.net>:
> >
> > What are peoples experience with any requirements for personal liability
> > insurance for things like lug events,  or install days.
> >
> > I remember at our first lug meet at exeter uni. back around year
> > 2000,.we just got people to sign a disclaimer,
> >
> > Just wondered, it may help dclug members when organising things like
> > install days.
>
> My experience has been that the venue has provided the insurance, or
> we've just met informally in a public place so as a pub and so
> insurance wasn't needed. I guess if you were meeting in somewhere like
> a scout hut/church hall things might be different.
>
> I don't actually know what the law is in regards to this though.
> Anyone know when PLI is actually needed?

Hi all,

PLI is primarily for a business/organisation and public gatherings
should be covered. If one or more persons gathers at a public place i.e.
a pub or other host which is a business; even a scout hut or church hall
etc., it is the business/organisation that should have such coverage
where applicable.

Regards

Phil