[ubuntu-uk] Karmic upgrade this morning

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 23:19:57 BST 2009

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Paul Sutton wrote:

>>> I would agree,  if you install an LTS release at least there is more
>>> chance of you getting help should something go wrong at some point.
>>>
>>> I have however found 8.10 pretty reliable its been installed since Xmas
>>> 2008,
>>>
>>> I want to try jaunty and karmic but can't afford to upgrade my hardware
>>> to a new video card
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Don't see why you'd need to upgrade your video card, I'd hazard a guess
>> that any old card would do as long as it has at least VESA support.
>>
>> The install for my dad will be running on Virtual Box so it doesn't
>> matter so much if it goes wrong, I can do a backup of the virtual
>> machine when it's done so if it screws up it's a simple case of over
>> writing it and restoring it.
>>
>> With regards to the charity machine, I guess my best bet is to see what
>> works on the machine.  It's a few years old (P4 2GHz, 512MB Ram) but
>> still not too slow.  IIRC I did put 9.04 on there a while back but had
>> to nab the hard drive for something else.
>>
>> I'll have a play over the weekend I think and see what happens.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Yeah but the geforce 4 card uses a legacy driver, so i need that to get
> the proper resolution unless the OSS one can do it but I strugle to get
> that sort of thing working anyway.
>
> if I upgrade the card, theni can use a newer driver that is better
> supported in newer versions of Xorg
>
> Paul

Try the nVidia 96 legacy driver - nvidia-glx-96

 From a terminal run nvidia-glx-96

Should work okay, I've had Ubuntu working fine with a Geforce 256!

You may also find that some newer cards aren't as well supported by free
drivers, especially in the case of some of the really new cards.  For
instance my ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder X800 (Radeon X800 based) hasn't got
very good support, it works but not too well, although that might be the
non-standard setup and the TV tuner etc on the card.

Rob