[ubuntu-uk] Desktop or Server?

etali etali at myth-games.com
Wed Nov 11 16:31:15 GMT 2009

Chris Ray wrote:
> I can understand dropping Open Office, Gimp, Media players, etc., from a
> server edition, but why a GUI desktop?
>
> So, as I see it, either I missed something in the Server setup, or I
> have to choose between adding server stuff to a Desktop install, or
> adding GUI stuff to a server install.
> I cannot be the first here.  Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Chris

My guess is it's partly a performance decision, and partly a security
decision (once you start adding extra software, it's just more possible
things that could go wrong).   I used to run a VPS that used Ubuntu
server, and the memory limits were tight enough even without trying to
squeeze a windowing system on there.

Adding something lightweight like XFCE shouldn't be a problem though,
this is an old guide:

http://www.howforge.com/how-to-install-pure-xfce-on-ubuntu-server

Then you can just run the gui when you need it.