[ubuntu-uk] Fwd: [LUG] [Fwd: Computer for the elderly launched]

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 11 12:32:41 GMT 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:08:27 -0000, Alan Bell
<alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com> wrote:

> Looks like they have thought about things better and spent more time
> preparing than certain Linux powered netbook projects did.
> It would appear that they control their own sales process and the full
> company is on board with the project, they shouldn't have their own
> sales reps selling against it. If they can set expectations right (which
> they appear to be doing) then it has a good chance of success. I would
> rather they priced too high and spent more time making happy customers
> than priced too low and gave poor service to a bigger volume. I don't
> think the hardware is junk or will overheat.
>
> Alan.

I would imagine the reason there are no hardware specs is because the
target audience may not understand them and/or find them off putting.  I
know the couple of t’old folk that I have set up Ubuntu machines for,
really had no concept of hard disk sizes.  n million MP3s or n million
photos is rather meaningless.

If there’s good telephone support then the price isn’t so bad.

One thing I did for my dad and his mate, was put the launchers for Firefox
and Thunderbird on the desktop, stretch them and rename them Internet and
email, which saves them searching as all manner of other junk seems to end
up there.
--
Steve