[ubuntu-uk] Fwd: [LUG] [Fwd: Computer for the elderly launched]

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 12:19:24 GMT 2009

etali wrote:
> Alan Bell wrote:
>
>> good luck to them. Not sure I would base a product on Mint, but the
>> hardware looks perfectly good (looks a lot like what I am using right
>> now) and the price is not the price for a bare bones unit but for the
>> solution including training materials and support (remember it isn't
>> being sold to self-supporting geeks) it certainly isn't crazy money. If
>> it is priced right to support a profitable business based on Open Source
>> that is great. Valerie Singleton on board sorting out publicity is
>> fantastic. If people say "Linux, oh yes I have heard about that, it is
>> that computer thingie that doesn't get viruses and is easy to use" then
>> I am all in favour!
>>

> Hopefully that's how it will turn out.
>
> However, if the hardware is poorly constructed, or the support is
> terrible, it could just as easily go the other way.  I'm concerned that
> in a few months time we'll be seeing people on Watchdog complaining
> about how their computers overheated, or how they bought Windows
> software and couldn't get it to work, or an update stopped their
> wireless working and support don't help them....

I get the feeling watching the video, these systems are aimed at people
who just want to browse the web, e-mail and chat to family and view
pictures.  I dare say that anyone who wants to do more than this would
probably be looking for something a bit less simplified.  Saying that, I
know a few people who this would be ideal for as they just want to do a
few basic things and that's about it.

Not to mention, as mentioned in the interview, the elderly lady who was
using this system said that she'd have to write things down if they were
more complicated, so it's up to the owners of these PCs to tell their
'know it all' kids and grandkids that it does what they want it to do
and they don't want to go messing about changing it (I get this
occasionally from my Dad with regards to his PC, although he has
expressed an interest in trying Ubuntu again).
> Suddenly the perception changes from "Fair play for making a good, safe
> computer solution with training materials and support" to "This company
> made overpriced junk, tricked pensioners into buying it, then ran off
> with their money and left them with broken PCs".
>
> I'm not saying that will happen, just worried that it could.

Well it could, but I guess it depends on how the PCs are sold.
> I have several friends who bought Linux powered netbooks and have been
> "put off Linux for life" because they went into the purchase with the
> wrong expectations.  Most of their issues aren't even down to Linux
> (e.g. they're annoyed they can't play games on the thing - it's a low
> powered, low screen res machine, even if it was running Windows it
> wouldn't play most games), but that's not how they see it.

I wonder if some of this is down to the shops selling them not being up
to speed.  But as you say these Windows netbooks are just as
under-spec'd for playing games etc, so maybe it might put them off
Windows too.  Saying that you're always going to get people not doing
any research before buying, just look at all the people who went out and
bought 'Vista Capable' PCs.

Rob