[ubuntu-uk] Realtek 8187b Wireless VERY VERY slow

Samuel Toogood sam_toogood at athsoc.org.uk
Mon Mar 30 17:12:30 BST 2009

Harry Rickards <hrickards at l33tmyst.com> wrote

> Quoting Gordon <gbplinux at gmail.com>:
> > Thanks - the major problem is that the internet connection is SO slow
> > that I can't install packages. Is there somewhere I can download the
> > *.deb file on another machine and install it that way?
>
> If you search packages.ubuntu.com,  you should be able to download it.
> Build-essential is avaliable for 8.10 Intrepid Ibex at

http://ubuntu.blueyonder.co.uk/archive/pool/main/b/build-essential/build-ess
ential_11.4_i386.deb for
> i386.
>
> Harry

I think build-essential is a meta-package, a package which doesn't contain
any programs itself but which causes other packages to be installed. You'd
have to download all these as well. Your best bet might be to install
packages from the cd you originally installed ubuntu with if you have it.

HTH

Sam