[ubuntu-uk] Truly, a vanilla install

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Mar 15 09:05:14 GMT 2009

Rowan,

Rowan Berkeley wrote:

> It makes it sound as if I can't be bothered to read the help notes
> before taking up people's time, which is not the case. I was just tired.
> I have read the help notes now, and it seems that solid colour in the
> icon boxes means a package is broken, and that 'complete removal' means
> the removal of the principal package and all its dependencies. However,
> it isn't always completely obvious which one the principal item is.

No, removal of a package will remove all the files installed for that
package but it will leave any configuration files behind. Complete
removal will remove the configuration files as well.

Getting rid of dependencies is separate. I just tried removing package
'firefox' and no dependencies were affected. I then tried removing
'firefox-3.0' and 5 or so dependencies were also marked for removal. It
was the same set for removal and complete-removal.

Maybe someone else can explain this behaviour.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk