[ubuntu-uk] Terminology and beginners, was Re: Scrambled screen & reinstalling

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 12:12:09 BST 2009

2009/6/23 Greg Herdman <gherdman at toucansurf.com>:
> One general thought regarding this list - much of the chat is, by its
> very nature, very technical, or at least very much couched in 'insider'
> language. As a real beginner in the Ubuntu world I for one would
> appreciate a bit of 'translation' when discussing convoluted issues. I'm
> not an IT novice, but neither am I an IT expert. For those who've
> already given their advice, many thanks. Hope this pointer helps to
> widen involvement; I will be running community IT classes again this
> coming autumn and have already raised interest in Ubuntu taster sessions.

Hi Greg,

The problem is that the levels of experience on the list vary greatly.
There are people who've barely touched a PC before all the way through
to kernel hackers.

Finding a common set of terms (and then remembering to use them!) is difficult.

The best thing to do is ask if you don't understand. I don't think
anyone will make fun if you do - it's against the CoC (code of
conduct) for a start, and they will probably get told off pretty quick
if they do! Also, if you don't understand it's probable that someone
else won't either, so you're not *just* helping yourself.

Cofion/Regards,
Neil