[ubuntu-uk] usb wireless adapter

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jun 23 23:31:20 BST 2009

norman wrote:
> My brother who is a very recent convert to Ubuntu has a Belkin USB
> Wireless G adapter which he would like to use. In order to do this I
> understand that it is necessary to know the chipset details so could
> someone please tell me if it is possible, using Ubuntu, to get this
> information.
>
> Norman

I take it that it doesn't work when he plugs it in?

Not sure if it helps but if you run

lsusb -vv | less

from a terminal you should be able to find more out about the device
such as the vendor ID and device ID.  In the case of my SD Card slot on
my laptop I get the following:

idVendor        0x0bda Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
idProduct        0x0158 Mass Stroage Device

If you do a search for the numbers it gives without the 0x (i.e in this
case 0bda and 0158 in Google you may get details of what chipset it has
and how to get it working.  I'd assume that if it isn't detected and
working when you plug it in then you'll probably need to use Ndiswrapper
with the Windows driver to get it working.

Rob