[ubuntu-uk] An Ubuntu version that looks like Windows

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Wed Jun 17 22:29:03 BST 2009

An Israeli company has put together a version of Linux based on Ubuntu
and that looks and acts more like Windows, which could be a good way of
getting Windows users to switch. It can also switch to a Mac-like
interface with a simple mouse click or two.

http://www.affordy.com/

However, if you download it, it is a trial version that runs 16 times
only, then you have to pay for it.

But I do like the concept, and the way it can perhaps convert some
Windows users who do not want to lose their interface but want something
faster and more reliable, and free from viruses.

On the downside, currently the link to their online shop only goes to
the shop site main page, which is all in Hebrew.
 http://shop.affordy.com/pl_product~TITANLEV-ENG~2~0.htm
<http://shop.affordy.com/pl_product%7ETITANLEV-ENG%7E2%7E0.htm>

There is a link at the bottom of the page to the English site, which is
at http://shop.affordy.com/?lang=en and it has the Titan Lev linux
distro for sale for only $25.

I am going to try out the trial version in VirtualBox and see what it is
like. If you have friends who are Windows users, you might want to tell
them that they can upgrade to a modern Vista-like OS for just $25 and be
free from viruses. The Titan Lev distro as supplied also has support for
Windows software like MS Office, probably through Wine.

David King