[ubuntu-uk] wacom bamboo

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 20:08:55 BST 2009

norman wrote:
> I suppose all you Wacom users are aware of this:-
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom
> If not, please have a look and see if it is a way of getting our buttons
> to work.

Norman >>> As you know - at least from helping with my struggles with
drivers for the Intuos4 - there are some complex interactions between
kernel versions, linuxwacom driver versions, and which model of Wacom
tablet you're using.  And you have to get the right combination for
successful operation of the basic tablet.  (I'm happy to say mine is now
working fine, as far as the stylus, eraser and pad are concerned.)

Unfortunately, there is a similarly complex set of interactions with
wacomcpl and the operation of the buttons.  You have to build and
install the wacom_drv.(s)o and wacomcpl from the same release package
(in my case, linuxwacom 0.8.3-4).  But the wacomcpl interface I see on
my system is extremely obscure, and contains impenetrably arcane options
for only five buttons, whereas the Intuos4 has eight.  I've just given
up on it, as a literal waste of time.

Things may be easier for the Bamboo, which has been around longer;  and
a bit of googling may get you on the right track.  I think Rolf has
tried the Bamboo, and may have advice about the buttons.  But I did note
that when he was demonstrating the Intuos3 on the Tablets video, he
remarked that it was very difficult to get its buttons working under
Linux, and he just used the keyboard instead.  (In fact, the most useful
buttons simply replicate Shift, Ctrl and Alt;  having them on the tablet
is more convenient;  but it's not a big deal to use the keyboard.)

As long as you have the 'pad' entries in xorg.conf, the circular pad
works for zooming and scrolling.  But this has nothing to do with the
button settings, and I have not seen any examples of xorg.conf that have
anything to do with the buttons per se.

If you come across any good dodges to fix the buttons, please let me
know, as I will you.

Is anyone else here using a Wacom USB graphics tablet?  With what success?

mac