[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 50, Issue 44

Rowan rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 15 13:04:52 BST 2009

Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:

 >Can you get to the BIOS settings? Will it boot off of a live Linux CD
such as an Ubuntu desktop CD? Cheers, Al.

Thanks to all for the hints. I have taken the battery out and will leave
it for a while to cool off some more. I don't smell any burning, as
someone suggested! I don't feel competent to dive in there and play with
the RAM, as someone else suggested. Now, assuming I get that brief
flashing cursor again next time I try it, then, to either get into the
BIOS settings or boot from disk, I need to enter F-something, as the
case may be, and I don't know what: F2, F7, whatever, so please advise
(I have the latest Ubuntu version, but the BIOS would be basically that
installed by the Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD, which Michael Fletcher kindly sent
me).

The guarantee would formally require me to ship the thing back to
California at my own expense, which would certainly be silly -- I agree
this is probably not even a loose socket but just over-heating, since
yesterday was the warmest day yet around here. Another possibility is
that a mite got into the works and shorted something with its tiny body
(this place is full of mites).