[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 50, Issue 44

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:51:30 BST 2009

2009/6/15 Rowan <rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com>:
> Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
>
>  >Can you get to the BIOS settings? Will it boot off of a live Linux CD
> such as an Ubuntu desktop CD? Cheers, Al.
>
> Thanks to all for the hints. I have taken the battery out and will leave
> it for a while to cool off some more. I don't smell any burning, as
> someone suggested! I don't feel competent to dive in there and play with
> the RAM, as someone else suggested. Now, assuming I get that brief
> flashing cursor again next time I try it, then, to either get into the
> BIOS settings or boot from disk, I need to enter F-something, as the
> case may be, and I don't know what: F2, F7, whatever, so please advise
> (I have the latest Ubuntu version, but the BIOS would be basically that
> installed by the Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD, which Michael Fletcher kindly sent
> me).

The BIOS is a chip on the motherboard, not something installed by Ubuntu.

The key to press could be one of a whole range - I've seen Esc, Del,
F2, F8, F10, F12, and that might not be the full set! It is normally
only one key that needs to be pressed (sometimes in a short window of
time), and there's normally a message displayed on screen to say which
one it should be. The message can also say something like "Press Esc
to enter Setup", rather than mentioning the BIOS specifically.

> The guarantee would formally require me to ship the thing back to
> California at my own expense, which would certainly be silly -- I agree
> this is probably not even a loose socket but just over-heating, since
> yesterday was the warmest day yet around here. Another possibility is
> that a mite got into the works and shorted something with its tiny body
> (this place is full of mites).

It could be overheating, but manufacturing defects occasionally show
up after a few months, so it could be the RAM or the graphics card as
previously mentioned. Keep trying, and hopefully something will work!

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.