[ubuntu-uk] Home partitions do I need one?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Jun 14 11:28:07 BST 2009

Graham Smith wrote:
> I'm  afraid all I was thinking about was whether the fresh install
> would fix my network problem,I knew the live CD worked but was waiting
> for the full install to still not work - but it did work.
>
> I could start from scratch and install again I suppose, maybe that
> would be good practice for future installs

In theory unless something goes completely wrong you should be able to
upgrade online as each new release is made available but I'd say a
separate home partition is a good thing.  I'm one for tinkering with my
systems so occasionally I do a fresh install and I find that having a
separate home partition helps.  If you create a home partition and then
in the future reinstall the OS you'd have to make sure you use the
manual partitioning option and make sure you give your home partition a
mount point but NOT format it.  You can format your root (/) partition
though and swap doesn't need formatting (at least I've never seen an
option for format swap).  Having a separate home partition also means
that you could format your root partition as ext4 for extra performance
and keep your home partition as ext3 if you wished.
> I have had a read though the other links, and googled a few more. I
> see that Ubuntu susgest 15gb as the maximum size for the root, which
> would leave me about 100gb for /home, which was one the things I
> wondered about; how to split up the disc.

I generally allocate about 20 to 40GB for root depending on the size of
the drive.  On my desktop I used to use 40GB (it was a 750GB drive) and
on my laptop with a 250GB drive I tend to allocate 20GB for root (mainly
because I also have Vista installed on it which I give about 60GB) but
really I think 15GB would probably be plenty.

As far as the swap partition goes (you'd have to create this manually
too if you do a manual partitioning), if you want to use Hibernate then
you'd need to allocate a partition at least (if not slightly larger to
be safe) to match the size of your system memory.  So for instance if
you have 2GB on your PC, allocate at least 2GB swap (or maybe something
like 2.2GB).  I found when I got to 4GB though that it was easier just
to shut the machine down and boot it up as it was quicker than
hibernate.  Now on my laptop with 4GB memory I have about a 600MB swap
partition.

Rob