[ubuntu-uk] Home partitions do I need one?

Graham Smith myotisone at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 07:57:11 BST 2009

mac

Thanks for the reply,

> For future reference, the best time for setting up a /home partition is
> *during* a fresh install.  Just use the 'manual' option during the
> partitioning process, early on in the install sequence, to set up, for
> example, /root, swap, /home  (or whatever arrangement you're going to
> use - www.psychocats.net has a discussion of options for partitioning)

I'm  afraid all I was thinking about was whether the fresh install
would fix my network problem,I knew the live CD worked but was waiting
for the full install to still not work - but it did work.

I could start from scratch and install again I suppose, maybe that
would be good practice for future installs

I have had a read though the other links, and googled a few more. I
see that Ubuntu susgest 15gb as the maximum size for the root, which
would leave me about 100gb for /home, which was one the things I
wondered about; how to split up the disc.

Graham