[ubuntu-uk] No IE in Windows 7

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 13:28:53 BST 2009

Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> On 12/06/09 12:20, Alan Pope wrote:
>
>> 2009/6/12 Sean Miller<sean at seanmiller.net>:
>>
>>> "European buyers of Windows 7 will have to download and install a web
>>> browser for themselves. Bowing to European competition rules,
>>> Microsoft Windows 7 will ship without Internet Explorer *snip"
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8096701.stm
>>>
>>> That could be quite a turning point in the browser wars.
>>>

>> As far as I understand it, the vast majority of people obtain windows
>> as a pre-installation on a new computer. Most don't install it
>> themselves (although they may re-install it when it goes sour some
>> time later). From what I've read OEMs will be able to select the
>> browser on behalf of the user and pre-install it for them
>>
>> Net result, users get a machine with IE8 pre-installed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>>

> That seems to be what I have read too.
>
> Of course an OS with no browser would make it very hard for a nontechy
> user to actually go and get one anyway.
>
> Open a command window,
> Use FTP?
>
> Al

Are Microsoft still going to offer the regular versions of Windows too?
I can't say I've seen Windows XP N or Vista N (the versions without
Windows Media Player) available anywhere (well, I think I've seen it
once).  I somehow doubt that it's going to be widely available somehow,
I'm sure Microsoft are just doing it to say that it is out there if OEM
choose to use it (and no doubt put the blame on the OEM's for being mean
and buying the versions with IE8 bundled in).

Rob