[ubuntu-uk] OT: OOo bashing was Word 2002 under Wine?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 10:16:26 BST 2009

William Anderson wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Sean Miller wrote:
>>
>>> I concur... Openoffice is bloatware of the highest order.
>>>
>>> If I could be bothered to get an older version of Office working on
>>> wine I would - but I don't use office suites enough to do so.
>>>
>>> It's a shame, really, that Sun decided to go down the bloated route,
>>> because the early versions of Openoffice were really quite pleasant to
>>> use; I dread to click on a ".doc" attachment in an e-mail because I
>>> know the machine will whirr and click for ages before I actually get
>>> to see it.
>>>
>>> Sean
>>>

>> I'd have to disagree on this one.  I've just opened a spreadsheet (one
>> of my invoices) in OpenOffice.  I'm running my notebook in low power
>> mode (1GHz) to save battery and it took 5 seconds from a cold start.
>> I'd hardly say that is ages.  There are tweaks that you can do to
>> OpenOffice to speed it up such as altering the memory usage [1].
>>

> You really shouldn't have to tweak a productivity app in such a way to
> make it usable, IMHO.  Granted it took 12 seconds for Word to open up on
> my Mac when I tried it there, but at least I know I'll enjoy using it :)

Actually I haven't done the tweaks on my laptop.
>> Now compare that to Office 2007 on one of my clients notebooks running
>> Vista, it takes a good 30 or so seconds to start up.
>>
>> Not to mention, when did this become an OpenOffice bashing Mac loving
>> mailing list?
>>

> Did it?  My main computer is a MacBook Pro, my media server is a Mac
> mini, so I usually speak to my own personal experiences.  However, all
> my servers[1] run Ubuntu Server LTS, and in the past I've run a gamut of
> desktop OSes including all versions of Windows (bar Me) and most recent
> versions of Ubuntu.  In all cases, I've rarely enjoyed using OOo, and I
> shared Sean's dread when opening documents that wanted to use OOo due to
> the grindage and carnage that would ensue.
>
> Note that I'm not saying everyone should use MS Office over OOo, just
> that I have a personal preference, and I think that everyone should try
> and use the best tool for the job within the bounds of their preferences.

I just got the general impression that you were saying that Macs were
the the be all and end all, guess I read it wrong.  You're lucky not to
have used Me, I had the annoying task of supporting it once, wasn't fun
at all :-(
>> I have got a Mac myself (albeit older iMac G3) and I have used Macs for
>> many years (going back to the old 68k Macs on System 6) but I find
>> sometimes doing things on a Mac can be just as annoying as doing stuff
>> on Windows (or in some cases as doing things on Linux).  I guess really
>>

> Odd, I rarely find using my Macs annoying.  I've spent more years
> cursing at Windows than I ever have at OS X or [insert Linux distro here].

I dare say if I used my Mac more I probably wouldn't find it as
annoying.  I must admit I did find some features useful, but not enough
to stray me away from Ubuntu full time.
>> it's what you're used to.  For instance I'm used to a lot of keyboard
>> shortcuts and generally the shortcuts are the same on Windows and Ubuntu
>> (for most applications), now going to a Mac I find that rather than
>> using CTRL I have to use the Option key.  Not a big thing really but I
>> do find it annoying sometimes.  I dare say it can be annoying for a Mac
>> user to go to a Windows or Linux box and find that some things aren't
>> Mac like.
>>

> Indeed.
>

>> With regards too William's comment about OpenOffice not being a native
>> app.  As far as I'm aware OpenOffice 3.1 IS a native app for OS X on
>> Intel CPUs, and there is also NeoOffice (which IIRC is a native build of
>> OpenOffice on both OS X Intel and OS X PPC).
>>

> Sorry, my "natively" comment was referring to the UI, which has always
> seemed to me to be more interested in appearing the same across all
> platforms (which never works) than appearing attractive and highly
> usable on each platform so that it plays to each's strengths.  Just a
> pet hate.

Fair enough.
>> With regards to MS Office 2008 being prettier than OpenOffice, remember
>> this, the cheapest version of Office 2008 is the Home & Student version
>>

> Yup, that's the version I have.
>

>> which is about £70 (doing a quick google check), and how much is
>>

> Yeah, I got the 3-user edition from amazon for a shade under 80 quid.
> And for me, that was money well spent.  YMMV, naturally.

I do admit, if you're after MS Office then it is an attractive offer.  I
am hoping that they do the same with Windows 7 as my other half can't
get on with Ubuntu (she can use it, just doesn't like it) so I'm looking
at upgrading her laptop and PC to Windows 7 (although that might annoy
her even more).
>> OpenOffice? - FREE!
>>

> Free to obtain, certainly, but the cost of someone's time to figure out
> the differences or possible shortcomings of OOo against MS Office could
> be expensive.

90% of the people I've given copies of OpenOffice to have not had any
problems, the other 10% needed some specific features of Office which
they couldn't live without.
>> There is nothing stopping anyone picking up the code for OpenOffice and
>> contributing to make it look better and work better and it's not as if
>>

> This is another attitude within the FLOSS community that irks me :)  Not
> everyone is a coder!

True, but you could also provide feedback (okay if the developers take
it on board is another thing).
>> you get it shoved down your throat like you do with Office 2007 on a new
>> machine (I've lost count of the amount of Windows PCs I've seen with
>> Office 2007 trial preinstalled which can only be used about 20 times
>> before it disables itself and turns into a bloated Office viewer).
>>

> "Shoved down your throat", right.  See, this is what I'm talking about.
>  Not your comment, but the practice of shoving things down people's
> throats when they didn't ask for them, such as recommending OOo when the
> OP wanted help with MS Office.

I did actually reply separately offering the OP some suggestions such as
how to simulate a reboot in Wine and mentioned CrossOver Office.
> Apologies to Mike if his comments were well-intentioned, which I have no
> doubt they were, but comments like "why aren't you using $FOO" when the
> question was "can someone help me with $BAR" just drive me nuts sometimes.

Yeah I can see your point.
>> Don't get me started on the install sizes [2] (about 1.7GB for a full
>> install of Office 2007 and about 400MB for OpenOffice.org)
>>

> 2008 is about a gig here.  I agree that for something you'd use to
> create a spreadsheet or type up a letter, that's insane.  For reference,
> iWork '09 is 650 meg.

Makes me wonder exactly what Microsoft have put in there.  Maybe I'm
just a bit cynical, I remember when Word came on a couple of floppies
and did just as good a job.
>> Now I'll be the first to admit that OpenOffice isn't perfect but it is
>> enough for most people and works pretty well (apart from a couple of
>> niggly bugs, but you can report bugs and track them online) and compared
>> to the cost of Office 2007, you won't see me switching in a hurry.
>>

> Then at least you've saved 70-odd quid :)

Yep, every little helps.
> -n
>
> [1] 4 here at home, 1 at my parents, and various bits and bobs out in
> colo and virtual server land.

Rob