[ubuntu-uk] Shell Access for VPS server

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Jul 6 18:24:42 BST 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 5:45 PM, John<jakewc2 at sky.com> wrote:
> I was just wondering, is there any difference between Linux Shell and
> Ubuntu Shell access? Also does anybody have any website I can look at to
> learn shell script?

There's no easy answer to that.

The basic shell is /bin/bash (the Bourne Again SHell - it's a Unix
joke ;-)) so in that regard there is no difference.  However once you
get into the shell the majority of commands you will carry out are
actually executables rather than part of the shell and these can
differ across distributions, but not nearly as much as they used to
with different versions of Unix (eg. Solaris 2.3 vs. HP-UX vs. Sequent
vs. Pyramid etc.).

For shell manual see http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html

Also be aware of the "man" command which can be very useful for
command line utilities.

"man <cmd>" gives you help, press <space> to scroll through pages.

Sean