[ubuntu-uk] Hibernation and Suspend on Toshiba Satellite

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Jul 1 12:32:27 BST 2009

Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
> Toshiba Satellite L40 running Ubuntu 9.04.
> There seems to be a problem with both hibernation and suspend. If I
> click on Hibernate, the screen goes dark, but the HDD is still on and
> the fan still runs. If I then press any key to come out of Hibernation,
> all I get is a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top L/H side
> of the screen. Nothing happens and I have to power off and then power
> back on to re-start.
>
> Suspend also doesn't seem to do what it's supposed to, but at least it
> gives me an unlock screen and I can go right back to my desktop.
>
> Is there something I need to set up, or am I missing the point of
> Hibernation and Suspend completely? ;-)

Have you created a swap partition that is bigger than the amount of
system memory you have?

Hibernation uses the swap partition, so if you have say 2GB of memory
then you need to allow 2GB for hibernation plus a little bit extra for
anything that might be swapped.  Personally as I have 4GB in my notebook
I found Hibernation took longer than booting up so I don't use it.

When you suspend does the laptop appear to power off?

On my laptop when I suspend it will take a few seconds then it will
appear to power off but the power LED goes amber and flashes.  Pressing
any key resumes the laptop.  Saying that though I believe I had problems
with Suspend on an older version of Ubuntu.

(Not to mention in suspend mode, although it powers the machine off
pretty much, it still does drain your battery so if you have a low
capacity battery you don't get that much longer in suspend mode).

Rob