[ubuntu-uk] [OT] ATX power supply seems to have lost it's X-factor

Michael G Fletcher michael at ilovemylinux.com
Tue Jan 27 20:56:04 GMT 2009

Hello :-)

The power supply on my desktop machine seems to have stopped
functioning as normal.  It still works, but when I shut my machine
down it no longer stops.  The power supply is either on or off.  Even
after switching it off at the wall, when I turn the wall power on
again, all the fans start spinning!

Anyway, I think it may be time for a new PSU and am a little uncertain
as to the power requirements.  It's an older desktop, but for my
current usage, and only Ubuntu, resources are not a serious issue so
don't want to spend too much money, but might as well go for something
a little silent.  Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
1.5GB RAM
3 small case fans (will probably reduce this to one)
Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS (requires one power plug)
DVD Writer
2x IDE drives

I'm swinging towards an Xilence 480W PSU [1] from aria for £26, but
not sure if it's (a) worth the extra money for a quieter PSU, and (b)
if 480W will be sufficient for stability?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers
--Michael

[1] - http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/450w+to+499w/Xilence+480W+Gaming+PSU+?productId=19869