[ubuntu-uk] [OT] ATX power supply seems to have lost it's X-factor

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 21:10:05 GMT 2009

On 27/01/2009 20:56, Michael G Fletcher wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> The power supply on my desktop machine seems to have stopped
> functioning as normal.  It still works, but when I shut my machine
> down it no longer stops.  The power supply is either on or off.  Even
> after switching it off at the wall, when I turn the wall power on
> again, all the fans start spinning!
>
> Anyway, I think it may be time for a new PSU and am a little uncertain
> as to the power requirements.  It's an older desktop, but for my
> current usage, and only Ubuntu, resources are not a serious issue so
> don't want to spend too much money, but might as well go for something
> a little silent.  Here are the specs:
>
> AMD Athlon XP 2400+
> 1.5GB RAM
> 3 small case fans (will probably reduce this to one)
> Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS (requires one power plug)
> DVD Writer
> 2x IDE drives
>
> I'm swinging towards an Xilence 480W PSU [1] from aria for £26, but
> not sure if it's (a) worth the extra money for a quieter PSU, and (b)
> if 480W will be sufficient for stability?
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Cheers
> --Michael
>
> [1] - http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/450w+to+499w/Xilence+480W+Gaming+PSU+?productId=19869

I'd say you should be fine with the 480W PSU.  I have a Xilence 420W PSU
and I was running a Phenom X4 with 3 hard drives and a DVD writer and a
couple of fans and it worked fine.  I'd certainly say it's worth paying
the extra for a quieter PSU.  Other alternative would be something like
a Corsair 400W PSU which is 80+ certified which IIRC means when it's on
full or high load you will get at least 80% or the rated power.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/200w+to+449w/Corsair+400W+CX+Power+Supply+?productId=34003

Rob