[ubuntu-uk] Memory upgrade

Matt Jones matt at mattjones.me.uk
Sun Jan 25 23:43:38 GMT 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Kris Douglas <webbox.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/25 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:

> http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Memory/Laptop/Arianet+2GB+PC2-5300+SO-DIMM?productId=34393

> >> Just to be clear, i wasnt advocating buying from Crucial (although I
> >> have in the past, and had no problems other than them not being the
> >> cheapest), but just suggest using their memory advisor as it seems to
> >> be quite a comprehensive database of computer motherboards and their
> >> respective memory requirements.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Al.
> >>

> > I'd agree about their motherboard advisor.  I've yet to find an advisor
> > that is as good as Crucials.  If I'm after something specific for a
> > customer I generally pay the little bit extra and get Crucial memory,
> > especially considering they usually do free 2 to 3 day delivery.  I just
> > went for the Aria memory as it was cheap and for my own laptop.  I have
> > used other generic Aria memory in a couple of motherboards and it seems
> > to work okay although I'm not sure how well it would work in maybe a
> > Dell PC or something like that which may be a little bit more fussy.
> >
> > Rob
> >

> > --
> > ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> >

> My XPS M1530 runs with a fast 3gb set from aria, works fine... and my
> desktop runs on aria ram too :)
>
> --
> Kris Douglas
>      Softdel Limited Hosting Services
>      Web: www.softdel.co.uk
>      Mail: kris at softdel.co.uk
>
> Company No. 6135915
> Registered in England and Wales

The recommended memory from crucial works cheaper when aria delivery is
taken into account for. Aria would work out cheaper if the 1300 could use a
single 2GB stick, but it needs the 2*1GB version. Crucial seem to be pretty
competitive for laptop ram at the moment, the only place I could find
cheaper sticks for my vostro was on ebay from the US.