[ubuntu-uk] Mobile Broadband

Ian Betteridge ian at ianbetteridge.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 10:44:53 GMT 2009

IIRC from researching this a while ago, some dongles used to require
quite a bit of fiddling to get working. Some of the USB sticks
included both the modem itself and a flash drive which contained the
Windows (and sometimes Mac) drivers - very convenient on those
platforms, but unfortunately not well supported in Ubuntu 8.04. You
basically needed to poke around, unmount the flash drive, and then do
something with the modem - all via the command line, which wasn't
ideal.

8.04 was the last time I used a dongle, so I can't say for sure if
this has been fixed in 8.10 - I'll do some digging...