[ubuntu-uk] Mac Frustration (was Remote support was Sad but true? etc.)

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Jan 18 16:45:26 GMT 2009

Sean Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:23 PM, William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
>> Hang on, what do you mean, no Ctrl key?  I'm looking at the MacBook Pro
>> keyboard I'm typing on right now, and there it is, a Ctrl key nestling
>> between Fn and Option/Alt.  This and the "there's no right mouse
>> button"[1] fallacy really irritate me sometimes.
>
> Okay, so there's a Ctrl key.  But it doesn't do what the control key
> would normally do, that appears to be the job of the "Apple" key.
>
> So what precisely does the "Ctrl" key do on a Mac?

Where it counts, it does exactly what you'd think a Ctrl key does.  If I
fire up a shell, Ctrl+C, +Z, +S, etc does what you think it would.  You
quickly get used to the difference between Ctrl and Cmd, in fact it's
quite handy to be able to use Cmd+C in a shell to copy stuff without
accidentally killing the process you're running.  Honestly, the more I
hear about all these supposed issues with different keys etc, the more
it sounds like FUD (not accusing you of anything, just commenting on the
general hassles people usually proclaim of Macs).

-n