[ubuntu-uk] Chkdsk for NTFS partition

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 20:15:40 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just bought a LaCie USB hard disk. It had a Windows-only setup
> program that installed the manuals and some software onto the newly
> formatted NTFS partition.
>
> When I plug it into my Ubuntu box, I get an error message saying that
> the disk could not be mounted because of an $MFT error. It suggests
> running CHKDSK /F and rebooting twice under Windows.
>
> However, I don't have Windows on my machine, and I was wondering
> someone knows an alternative command I could run under Ubuntu. I'm
> running hardy at the moment.
>
> I'd prefer not to format it straight away, since I'd like the manuals
> off the disk first, although apparently they're also available for
> download from the LaCie website.

You can download a Windows Vista recovery CD that will boot a system
and let you run a few  things, including CHKDSK, with no need for a
Windows licence, installation media or anything.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508