[ubuntu-uk] Chkdsk for NTFS partition

Daniel Rhodes-Mumby daniel.rhodes.mumby at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 14 17:00:13 GMT 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:32:29 -0000, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> When I plug it into my Ubuntu box, I get an error message saying that
> the disk could not be mounted because of an $MFT error. It suggests
> running CHKDSK /F and rebooting twice under Windows.
>
> However, I don't have Windows on my machine, and I was wondering
> someone knows an alternative command I could run under Ubuntu. I'm
> running hardy at the moment.
> TIA.
> Cofion,
> Neil.

If you install ntfsprogs then there's a utility called ntfsfix which performs a basic chkdsk and allows you to mount it cleanly.
An example usage would be "sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdb1", obviously replacing the drive and partition appropriately.

--
Daniel Rhodes-Mumby

Humans are the place where the rising ape meets the falling angel.