[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu for the Eee

Ronnie Tucker ronnie at ronnietucker.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 14:32:46 GMT 2009

Liam Proven wrote:
> Setting up an Eee 900 for a mate. £40 off eBay! Great deal!
>
> Anyway, I'm not taken with Xandros, and I'm going to be supporting
> this little beast.
>
> What's the best Ubuntu remix for the Eee? Eeebuntu, Ubuntu-Eee, something else?

I recommend CrunchEEE (a derivative of CrunchBang Linux, which uses
Ubuntu) it comes with the Array.org kernel by default so everything
works at the end of the install. It also uses OpenBox, rather than
Gnome, to get extra speed. Aaaaand it even has conky running in the
corner of the screen, for extra geekness...  :D

I use it on my 701 EEE and it works great.

I did a quick review of it on my blog:
http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/cruncheee-crunchbanglinux-on-the-asus-eee-701-pc/

--
Ronnie Tucker