[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu for the Eee

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Sat Jan 3 22:02:11 GMT 2009

On 03/01/2009, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/3 Andrew Oakley <andrew at aoakley.com>:
>> * I prefer eee-control to eeepc-config . eee-control supports
> What is eeepc-config?

Eeepc-config is a bunch of scripts that configure Ubuntu for the Eee,
such as the hotkeys, wifi, camera etc. It assumes a bunch of defaults
that you might not necessarily agree with. Eee-control, by contrast,
provides a tray applet through which you can manually configure your
own preferences, and turn stuff on/off at a whim.

>> * I prefer blueman and gnome-ppp to control bluetooth and GPRS/3G over
>> bluetooth phones. Gnome-PPP is in the standard Ubuntu repo. Blueman is
>> at http://blueman.tuxfamily.org/ and they provide a repo for Ubuntu
>> 8.04 .
>
> OK - but why?

Blueman provides a really good GUI for Bluez-utils. You can browse
phones direct from the tray applet, similar to the Nokia systray
applet on MS-Windows. Gnome-PPP provides a good GUI for wvdial. You
can manage without both and still configure GPRS/4G over bluetooth
without them, but it's a lot more commandline than I'd like.

If you have a 900 then you won't have bluetooth built in, but can use
a USB bluetooth adaptor (I recommend one of those really slim ones!).
I have a 901 which comes with bluetooth built-in.

>> * I prefer to mount everything on the SDA SSD, and then have /home2 on
>> SDB with symlinks from /home/user directories as required. SDA is a
>> much f aster flash card and things work faster if you have all your
>> .preferences folders on SDA.
>
> What's the difference? What are SDA and SDB? Is this the internal SSD
> versus the SD slot? His is a 20G model, with a 4G main SSD and a 16G
> secondary one in the expansion slot, which Xandros makes look like one
> big disk

SDA is the 4GB drive. It is a physically separate drive (not merely a
partition) which uses high quality, fast, expensive flash memory.
Things on this drive load and save faster. Ideal for the main OS
files.

SDB is the 16GB drive - a physically separate drive. It uses
inexpensive slower flash memory, similar to that found on USB keys or
memory cards. Fine for movies, documents, MP3s etc. but you don't want
anything frequently accessed by the OS here.

Xandros may make SDA and SDB look like one drive, but they aren't.

SDC is the Secure Digital card slot.

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com