[ubuntu-uk] Laptop lid event to standby/hibernate at GDM login?

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Sat Jan 3 14:08:55 GMT 2009

I've got suspend-to-ram (sleep) and suspend-to-disk (hibernate)
working well on my Asus Eee 901 using Ubuntu (actually Ubuntu-Eee,
based on Hardy).

What works:

* Hibernate and sleep keys on laptop
* Hibernate and sleep (suspend-to-ram) from Quit window
* Lid close calls sleep (suspend-to-ram) if logged in to a Gnome session
* Options - Hibernate and Options  - Suspend from GDM login screen
(even if nobody logged in)
* Resume from all the above

What doesn't work, that I want to:

* Lid close to call sleep (suspend-to-ram) from GDM login screen, when
no users are yet logged in, or all users have logged out.

I want this because I allow visitors to use the guest account on my
netbook and I want to encourage them to log out when they have
finished, then shut the lid.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Hibernate/suspend obviously works
from GDM Login window, since the Options - Hibernate and Options -
Suspend items work. What doesn't work is the lid closure to trigger
these calls.

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com