[ubuntu-uk] Hooking up a machine running Ubuntu to a Mark 1 BT HomeHub

Ian Betteridge ian at ianbetteridge.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 12:19:36 GMT 2009

The white Home Hub should happily work with any machine connected via
Ethernet (USB is, if I remember, basically not used).

Basically, if everything is plugged in correctly, when you connect your PC
via Ethernet you should have a working Internet connection within a few
seconds - although the Hub comes with a CD full of software, you don't need
to install any of it (and it's all Windows stuff anyway).

Try this:

Connect up your Hub, turn it on, and wait a few minutes to let the Hub sort
out its connection to the Internet.

Next, connect your PC to one of the Ethernet ports on the back - it doesn't
matter which one - and wait a minute or two.

Now open Firefox on your PC. Try going to a web site. Is it working? If so,
congratulations! :)

If not, try entering http://bthomehub.home in your browser. This should get
you to the Hub's configuration screen. If not, try entering
192.168.1.254(this is the default IP address of the Home Hub).

If that's not working, there's either a problem at the PC end, or with the
cable. If it is working, then either something is wrong with the
configuration of the Hub or with your net connection.

Let me know if any of that works, and if it doesn't what happens - feel free
to email me off-list if you need more help.