[ubuntu-uk] Hooking up a machine running Ubuntu to a Mark 1 BT HomeHub

Rowan rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:47:24 GMT 2009

Hi,

I would love to know how to connect my new US-supplied Ubuntu-running
machine to a Home Hub (Mark 1, white model). I  do not have, or intend
to fit, a wireless card in the computer, but it has a multitude of
Ethernet and USB ports.  I am  only concerned  with connecting via
Ethernet (or, as a last resort, USB) cable. As you can see from the
correspondence reproduced below, the manufacturer is not too well up on
BT and its tyranny!

=====

Rowan,

There is no printed manual for the LC2430S but it's viewable at the
following URL:

http://wiki.linuxcertified.com/wiki/downloads/LC2430S/JHL90_4.pdf

Please note it's intended more for Windows rather than Linux.

What type of device is the British Telecom HomeHub? Modem, router,
access point or a combination? Is it Linux compatible? Please check
dmesg when connecting to the HomeHub and NetworkManager applet on the
right side of the top GNOME panel.

Regards,
Gilbert