[ubuntu-uk] BT Home Hub

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 14 20:22:36 BST 2009

Hi all

A little while ago someone around here, I hope, asked about the BT Home Hub.
I've done a bit of research, as I use one myself, and thought I would share.

1.  Can the Home Hub be used to connect to another ISP?  Unless you're
feeling really daring the answer is no.  The other option is to re-burn the
Firmware but this will take out all the Service Provider info, and you'll
loose the updates that BT push out.

2.  What can be connected to the Home Hub USB ports?  Most mass storage
devices will work "out of the box".  Apparently the Home Hub has SAMBA built
in to aid with this. IP address 192.168.0.253

Note:  From forums visited it looks like the preferred file format is FAT
32.  Also, one unlucky punter had his USB HDD internal circuits blow due to
the port apparently driving out too much power.

3.  Can I provide unsecure and secure wi-fi at the same time?  Yes, but the
BT product seems to appear and disappear regularly - it involves a,
unsurprisingly, a Firmware update which can take up to 2 weeks to be passed
down.

4.  Is it Linux compatible?  Yep, although only the latest, Autumn 2008
updates, have fixed some of the Admin web page problems that were
experienced by both Linux and Mac users.

HTH

Ian