[ubuntu-uk] Deleted files showing in some dialogue boxes

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 08:18:14 BST 2009

2009/4/1 Simon Wears <munkyjunky at googlemail.com>:
> Dianne,
>
> Those are backup files. To get to them in Nautilus, browse to the folder
> they're in (for example /home/Dianne/Documents/ ) and press Ctrl + H. This
> shows hidden files and folders. From there, you can just delete the
> files,then press ctrl + H again to hide hidden files and folders. If you
> don't hide them again, you'll find a lot of extra (configuration) folders in
> your Home directory.
>
> Hope that helps!

For a bit more explanation, they can be created if you edit a file -
GEdit saves a backup by default, as does vi/vim. Other editors
probably do the same.

You can definitely turn it off in vim (but I can't recall exactly what
incantation you need to write in .vimrc), and probably in GEdit too.
Ah, yes - in GEdit's preferences, choose the 'Editor' tab and turn off
the option to make a backup copy.

The other option is to try using Ctrl+H in the file dialog where you
can see the extra files. Maybe this will hide the backup files and let
you just select the ones you want. This depends a bit on exactly how
the program is written though...

Cofion/Regards,
Neil.