[ubuntu-uk] Free Dell Mini 9

Matt Jones matt at mattjones.me.uk
Wed Sep 24 14:59:45 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Bruce Beardall <bruce72 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. I will have another look at the offers. Coverage
> is good for all networks where I am (and we're not moving far) so I'll
> re-consider T-Mobile. In truth, I didn't realise they were that flexible
> with their limit.
> As for the Vodafone Mini 9, I've no idea what OS it's going to be running.
>

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Bruce Beardall wrote:
>> > Vodafone is planning to offer the Dell Mini 9 for free with a mobile
>> > broadband contract.
>> >
>> > You can pre-register your interest here:
>> >

>> http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/mobile-phones/pre-register/&model=Netbook&manufacturer=Dell&type=handset
>> > <
>> http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/mobile-phones/pre-register/&model=Netbook&manufacturer=Dell&type=handset
>> >

>> Is that running Ubuntu or Windows XP though?
>>
>> You might find that some of these newer sticks aren't supported by Linux.
>>
>> > While on the subject - does anyone have any feedback on mobile broadband
>> > in the UK? We're moving in November and I'd like to get rid of my
>> > landline altogether, replacing it with mobile broadband. Currently, I'm
>> > thinking of 3 since they offer 7Gb for £25 per month without a contract.
>> > However, if Vodafone's mobile broadband is really that good, I might
>> > consider the above offer (since I also want to get a netbook).
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >

>> I would seriously check coverage before you ditch the broadband.  If you
>> get good coverage then great, if you don't, well it'll be as much use at
>> home as a chocolate teapot (as a friend of mine found out, he got a 3
>> mobile broadband modem on contract at £35 a month with a seriously
>> underspec'd HP laptop running Vista and found he couldn't get any 3G
>> reception at home and he's stuck now for 18 months).
>>
>> When I have used 3's mobile broadband I found it to be average.  You'd
>> probably be hard pushed to get over 3Mbit/sec unless you live in a
>> really good coverage area and it's usually large cities and towns which
>> get the better coverage.
>>
>> Personally I now wouldn't touch Three with a 10 foot barge pole.  I've
>> found their customer service to be very poor.  I purchased a Skype phone
>> last week and it died after 3 days.  They refused to give me a refund or
>> direct replacement until I reminded them that the phone wasn't fit for
>> it's purpose (it wouldn't turn on!).  I eventually got a refund from
>> them and decided to change networks (they said the repair would take 5
>> days).
>>
>> You might want to have a look at T-Mobile.  I believe they have a deal
>> for about £20 a month which gives unlimited usage (3GB fair usage
>> contract, but as far as I know it's not set in stone).
>>
>> What I will do when I do get a 3 broadband modem is get one of the cheap
>> 3 modems from eBay and get it unlocked and use a different network
>> (T-Mobile again have a £2 a day service, just pay the £2 when you want
> [...]
leaflets. I am currently using the PAYG broadband from 3, which I have found
to be very good and pretty speedy over much of the country. It seems to be
on a par with my home ADSL, Although in ADSL terms its pretty slow. I am
looking at moving my phone to 3 as well, so I can use that instead of the
USB modem.

AFAIK, the modems aren't 'locked' as such, its just the software that the
Phone company has on the device, which is held in a small flash drive, is
only usuable on their network. By using alternative software, you may be
able to use other SIM cards.

*Above statement may not be accurate, but I remember reading something about
it a while back.

Mj