[ubuntu-uk] Free CrossOver Office

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 17:58:47 GMT 2008

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Quoting Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Just seen this on the Bristol Wireless mailing list...
>
> Didn't realise you were part of BW as well... :oP

Yeah, well I'm a member of the mailing list but I tend to just lurk and
read the messages.

>> "A while back Codeweavers gave President Bush a challenge to meet one
>> of several goals before he left office. One of these goals was to
>> lower gas prices in the Twin Cities below $2.79 a gallon, which has
>> since transpired.
>> http://news.slashdot.org/news/08/10/28/0354203.shtml"
>>
>> Looks like you can get a free serial for Crossover Office for either
>> Linux or Mac from Codeweavers today only.
>>
>> Goto http://down.codeweavers.com/ to register.
>
> Done.
>
> I got both versions (I'm greedy) but I don't know the difference of
> even if I can install them side-by-side.

I tried installing the Game version on Hardy 64-bit and it moaned about
some missing libraries.  I'm going to reinstall when Intrepid comes out
so I'll have a play with it then.

I know someone who might actually benefit from CrossOver Office (someone
who has an old slow PC but wants to play World Of Warcraft).

> Usually, I'd read the website to work out which one was best, but I can't...
>
> Can anyone enlighten me as to the major differences between Pro and Games[0]?

Um... I think it's mainly that the games one is tailored more to games
and competed with TransGaming's Cedega (which is also based on Wine).

I tried CrossOver Office Pro a couple of years ago and it worked fairly
well but I haven't had chance to play with it recently.

Rob