[ubuntu-uk] Authenticating against Samba/NT 4.0 domain

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 21:28:29 BST 2008

2008/10/15 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
> Hi folks,
>
> As part of the change over from Windows XP to Ubuntu I'm trying to get
> the Ubuntu machine to authenticate against a domain.
>
> At the moment we have a Windows 2003 SBS server which is going to be
> _hopefully_ replaced with SME Server 7.3 which provides a domain via Samba.
>
> Now I've got this working before on earlier versions of Ubuntu (6.10,
> 7.04) but not tried it in a while.
>
> What I'm trying to do is get the Ubuntu box to authenticate against the
> domain so when a user comes along, they can login using their Windows
> login details (saves me hassle of creating extra accounts and keeping
> passwords up to date).
>
> Previously I was able to follow this guide to authenticate the users...
>
> http://tech.canterburyschool.org/tech/UbuntuWorkstations_2fAuthenticationSetup
>
> The problem is, I'm trying this on Intrepid and some of the
> configuration files (where it relates to pam) have changed and not being
> an expert on pam, I don't know what to alter.
>
> I see that in some of the palm config files it now uses pam_permit.so
> rather than pam_unix.so.  I just wondered if pam_permit.so looks in
> another config file?

There was an article about PAM in Linux Format issue 99. If you
subscribe, you can see the articles on their website even if you no
longer have the issue.

It explains what all of the different pam_xxx.so options do, and how
to configure them.

If you aren't a subscriber, or no longer have the issue, I'll have a
look and see what I can crib from the article to help you out.

Cofion,
Neil.