[ubuntu-uk] Configuring Virgin cable modem

Steve Laming laming2000 at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 15 02:13:50 GMT 2008

Hi Dianne

If the router is working, then it must be your connection somewhere along
the line.

I have a NTLWorld cable modem that must be 6 years old at least, it has USB
and Ethernet.  I have a Linksys router connected via ethernet that is
providing DCHP and that connects to whichever computer asks it to Ubuntu or
Windows.  I am currently using wireless but the wired connection just works.

I regressed from 8.10 because of a few issues, but if you live boot 8.04 and
go to System, Administration,Network Tools.  Does your card appear in the
Network devices drop down list eth0 maybe.
I am not an expert at this, but check on the forums to make sure your
netowrk card is configured correctly, or someone here can probably help with
this better than I.

Steve