[ubuntu-uk] Windows Free Laptops

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 09:46:44 GMT 2008

Paul Sutton wrote:

> I think microsofts argument is that if hardware comes minus an OS people
> will buy that and use pirated copies of windows, (which even as ubuntu
> users, we can't be seen to condone that),  so they have a point,
> perhaps meet suppliers half way and ask them to install say Ubuntu,  but
> sell minus the cost of the Windows license fee and + the cost of the
> ubuntu license fee (£0.00) :).,  that way it can be argued that is
> legal,  if Linux users then want to wipe ubuntu and install debian,
> slakware or whatever they can do.

Technically if someone wants to pirate a copy of Windows enough they
could most probably get around the protection.  I wouldn't be surprised
if 50% (possibly more) of self built machines running Windows are
running a pirate copy.

> Perhaps we could draft out a letter between us, so it sounds really
> good, and we cna then send that off to tesco.  ok we can change it
> around but if the wording is right, then it will have good effect.   we
> are after all a collaborative society with OSS so why not OSS letters,
> for this sort of purpose.

It might work, but look at some of these Netbooks which have been given
away on Contract.  IIRC it was Carphone Warehouse who were supplying
Ubuntu Netbooks and they said that a fair few had been returned because
the users couldn't get on with them.  It looks like they're now only
going to do Windows XP netbooks until Windows 7 is released.

Maybe it's poor advice from the sales staff.

I'd be interested to see what the return rate of things like Acer Apire
One Linux version is which Tescos are currently selling for about £200.

I think some people look at the price and think... hmmm, that's £50 (or
whatever) cheaper, I'll get that one.  I'm sure some people will be
happy with them as they are, others will install another distro and
maybe a few might return them.

> this is what the Wiki is for,  surely. create an open letter via wiki,
> and take it from there,  we can print,  modify a little and send off.

Well it's worth a go.

I can't help but think that as a whole the Linux community have about as
much hassle as the Mac community convincing people to switch from
Windows.  I guess in a way the Mac community have the advantage of
hooking people with iPods, iPhone etc, but the disadvantage of the kit
being seriously overpriced (even if it looks good, I certainly wouldn't
want to spend another £200 or £300 for a comparable spec system).

Rob