[ubuntu-uk] [marketing] Intrepid 8.10 Kubuntu - disaster

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Nov 8 11:03:18 GMT 2008

I have just tried kubuntu 8.10 Live CD for the first time and I am
deeply troubled by what I find.

I have had difficulty trying to run it, and when I have found a
machine and a way to run it, I find I am then totally confused.

This is all bad news for advocacy activities - I am an energetic
advocate and have a monthly place in my local computer fair and give
talks to clubs etc also. I have found that KDE (kubuntu) has been very
useful because for some windows escapees it is easier to relate to
than gnome. I also use kubuntu for my elderly friends because it has a
more feature rich  experience and this is useful - including for ex
windows users. I should perhaps mention that I have both gnome and kde
installed on all of my own machines.

I have tried kubuntu 8.10 live cd in four machines, 3 desktops and a
laptop, first as normal then as Safe Graphics mode.

The laptop gave no display at all. On all of the desktop PCs normal
graphics did not work at all. Safe Graphics mode was required but on
one PC the low resolution was unusable as an initial experience. With
another of the PCs the display would not start - I had to use ctrl alt
backspace to restart the xserver, then it displayed.  The final PC
worked.

Unfortunately I then found that trying to use this (kde4.1?)
environment left me totally confused. I am not saying that personally
I can not or will not find out how to use it, I am saying that as a
newcomer to the environment, and most particularly as a possible
newcomer from windows to linux, it would be a non starter.

 From the point of view of a total newcomer to linux (Kubuntu that is)
- this experience would be out of the question. It would certainly not
endear an unsuspecting newcomer to the kubuntu experience.

I regret I must now change my advocacy strategy and simply stop
offering kubuntu! At least until both - it works in typical PCs - and
also something is offered that a new user can relate to! This is a
blow because kubuntu has been a most useful weapon in my armoury to
attract windows escapees.

For me personally, I am sure that I can discover, ask, experiment, and
enjoy what is offered as the future unfolds, but I will continue to
use kde3 for a long time yet, I suspect, to get my work done.

Also, this message is the last one in which I will use a sig which
advertises kubuntu because - particularly in the non computer related
forums I use - I will not want to encourage new users into what is
currently a difficult experience.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391