[ubuntu-uk] Acer Aspire

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 09:50:59 GMT 2008

keith wrote:
> Yesterday I splashed out on a new toy - the Acer Aspire One netbook, the Linpus Lite version with 1GB ram, and a 120GB Hard Drive.  It's a very nice little machine and ideal for a first time user, but the OS is rather limited.
>
> I've checked the Howto install Ubuntu on it at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne and at face value it looks pretty daunting.  If it all goes pear shaped
> it seems that I've got no means of recovering the original OS because of the lack
> of CD drive on the machine.
>
> So before I commit myself, can any
> of our readers who may have already accomplished the feat tell me how
> successful/useable the installation has proved to be.

I haven't actually got one of these machines yet (it's on my Christmas
list), but I would suggest maybe the following:

Create a USB pen drive of Ubuntu or alternatively SystemRescueCD
(http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page)

Create a disk image of the hard drive (assuming you haven't put much or
anything on the machine yet you'd probably find the image would be small
enough to stick on a large USB stick or SD card).

You can find details here: http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtoimage.html

This way if things go belly up you should be able to restore the hard
disk image.

I've done this on a Windows based laptop with success, although I
haven't tried it on a Linux machine, although I have successfully
managed to create disk images of Linux machines.

I'm sure though someone else has actually tried it.  I'm surprised
though that they didn't bundle in a restore CD/DVD, I mean an external
USB DVD writer is only about £30 nowadays.

Rob