[ubuntu-uk] Laptop Choices

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Tue May 13 23:27:08 BST 2008

Jai Harrison wrote:
> I would like to be able to run Ubuntu with desktop effects and plenty
> of spare resources for things such as gaming through Wine (nothing too
> heavy - Age of Mythology, would like to give Age of Empires 3 a try),
> running virtual machines on, etc. The laptop should be decent with
> said things for the next 3 years (my bachelor's degree course length).

I like my Dell Inspiron 1520. Dual-core for oomph, Intel i965/X3100
graphics works great with Compiz under Hardy, just about plays Portal
and Neverwinter Nights when I dual-boot into MS-Windows. Broadcom WiFi
works through propriatory drivers.

Dell and Intel actively sponsor development of open-source drivers for
their hardware (notably, the Intel i965 driver was massively improved
for Hardy; Dell gave away laptops to graphics driver developers to
encourage this).

I got mine for GBP450 about four months ago.

So long as I don't try to play Team Fortress 2 on it, it seems happy.

--
Andrew Oakley