[ubuntu-uk] Laptop Choices

Jai Harrison jai at jaiharrison.com
Tue May 13 21:02:54 BST 2008

Hey,

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 8:51 PM,  <matt at mattjones.me.uk> wrote:>
>  What are you going to be using it for? If you only have basic needs
>  then a £500 one would be fine. Are you looking for something small and
>  portable or a full desktop replacement. The xps m1330 is good, and I
>  think uses nearly all free drivers if you choose the intel graphics.

I'm after a general purpose laptop for full-time use (as in I don't
use another computer of any kind).

I would like to be able to run Ubuntu with desktop effects and plenty
of spare resources for things such as gaming through Wine (nothing too
heavy - Age of Mythology, would like to give Age of Empires 3 a try),
running virtual machines on, etc. The laptop should be decent with
said things for the next 3 years (my bachelor's degree course length).

Jai