[ubuntu-uk] Dual booting (Was: Re: Bug Day)

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:54:57 BST 2008

2008/7/29 James Milligan <lake54 at lake54.com>:
> Can I use a USB external HDD? If I could, would there be a noticeable
> difference in performance? Also got no problems with backing up, got plenty
> of storage ;-)

Hi James,

Welcome to the list.

An external HDD is perfectly usable, although it will be a bit slower
- whether or not you notice it will depend on which version of USB
you're using (USB 2 is best), and how much you're using the hard disc.
I've not tried it, but I imagine it will be similar to using the
LiveCD - starting programs might be noticeably slower but using them
should be fairly quick.

Otherwise, I second Stephen's suggestion of using WUBI. This is like a
virtual machine in that it uses a large file on the Windows partition
to store the Ubuntu data, but you choose which OS to run when you boot
the PC (like a normal dual-boot setup). If you decide to get rid of
it, take a trip to Windows' "Add/Remove Programs" applet.

OT: isn't it funny how Windows users only use that applet to remove
programs, whereas it actually does what it says under Ubuntu!