[ubuntu-uk] What would you like in a book..

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jul 21 16:37:24 BST 2008

Start the ball rolling with my own answers :)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 04:27:01PM +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> Whilst I appreciate that not everyone likes books in dead-tree form, some
> do, so let's focus this on that group of people who do.
>
> I've been wondering if there's a set of Ubuntu related topics that are not
> covered, or not covered well in the current set of books available.
>
> What would you like out of an Ubuntu book?

Something I can give to my father in law to explain everything that he
normally asks me questions about.

> Would you like to see tutorials, how-tos and guides for specific tasks,
> which would form a reference?
>
> Would you prefer a book that you could read cover to cover, to go from "zero
> to hero"?

A combination of the both. A book that can read, which explains concepts
from the ground up, but has enough examples that can be run on a vanilla
system to cement the knowledge.

> What do you think _others_ might like out of an Ubuntu book?

Something that isn't intimidating, and doesn't go overboard explaining the
command line in the first chapter!

> What topic do you think would be appropriate?

Installation of Ubuntu, installing new software, migrating from Windows
software, setting up standard applications, alternative apps, configuring
system settings, troubleshooting problems and locating help online.

> What do you think would not be appropriate?

A command line reference guide, copies of the GPL/LGPL "for reference"..

Cheers,
Al.