[ubuntu-uk] tomboy sychronisation issue

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 15:20:21 GMT 2008

Alan,

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 02:01:58PM +0000, Tony Arnold wrote:
>> I've been trying to synchronise my tomboy notes using sshfs. The problem
>> is that even after sync'ing I still have a different number notes on the
>> two systems. Although if I change a note, then those changes get sync'd.
>>

> Hmm, sounds a bit broken. What version of Tomboy are you using?

I'm on 0.8 which is what comes weith gutsy.

> I'm on 0.9.5
> here from a non-ubuntu repo, and it works very nicely. Of course that means
> using a non-ubuntu repo version, and that's your choice. It does have some
> nice features over 0.8* though :)
>
> deb http://apt.schmidtke-hb.de/ gutsy main

Hmm, might be worth a try.

> ( I also get AWN from that repo - which is why I added it in the first place
> - getting an updated Tomboy was a nice side effect for me ).
>
>> Is there any way to force tomboy to do a sync from scratch, i.e, forget
>> any sync history?
>>

> Remove the sync directory from the server you are syncing with?

There are a couple of sync dirs at the client end and a manifest.xml
file on both server and client. I've tried moving the manifest files out
of the way but without success. I could try the sync dirs as well.

I guess I could always syn using Unison as I used to do, but the tomboy
mechanism seems a cleaner solution to me, if it works.

> I sync from one laptop to my server, and then another laptop to the same
> server. Rather than direct from one machine to another.

When I have more than two machines to sync then I tend to do it that
way. Seems to work much better!

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk